The circular walk from Pluckley station will take you on a tour through the beautiful and rural Kent countryside. There’s a remote, away-from-it-all feeling to this gentle and quintessentially English walk. Passing small farms, oast houses, timber-framed houses, lush pastures, apple orchards and ancient oaks and in the summer months there is an abundance of wild flowers and gardens in full bloom.
Plus the walk also benefits from some great country pubs including The Black Horse, which is apparently the most haunted pub in Kent.
11km (6.8 miles) | Easy and Flat
There are parts of the walk which can be overgrown and part of the route is across a country road where dogs will need to be kept on the lead
Pluckley station is just over an over on the train from Charing Cross and trains run around 2 an hour
Road | If you are driving, there is a car park at Pluckley Station that costs £2 per day on weekdays but is free on the weekends
Places to eat
The Black Horse pub has a beautiful walled garden and is dog friendly.
- From the station walk down the access drive to the Dering Arms.
- Bear right in front of the pub down a tarmac lane and continue into a field.
- Cross the field to a stile in the left-hand corner and continue straight ahead across a pasture to reach a lane.
- Bear right along the lane and continue towards Dowle Street Farm.
- After just over 250 metres turn left onto a signed footpath towards Gore Court.
- The path goes to the right of the property to join a track which leads to a lane. Bear left along this lane.
- After approximately 300 metres you pass a large cottage on your left. In the right hand hedge you will find a footpath sign and wooden gate with an adjacent stile. Take this path with the field boundary on your immediate right to pass Malmains on your left.
- Cross stile into an orchard following the right of way which soon becomes a track to reach Shearland Farm.
- Before reaching the farm, turn left onto the Greensand Way and continue through orchards and across a recreational ground to reach a road in Pluckley.
- Turn left down Smarden Road towards Pluckley Thorne. You are now on the Greensand Way Spur.
- Continue along the road for just under 700 metres and locate a footpath on the left by a garage. The path leads through several fields to reach Lambden Road (there maybe sheep in an adjoining field so your dog may have to be kept on the lead).
- Turn left and then right over a stile by a metal gate and into a field.
- Head south aiming for the left-hand corner of this field from where the path continues in a southerly direction to join Station Road (the last part of this walk can be slightly overgrown during the summer months).
- Turn right and walk back to the station.